Thursday, December 31, 2009

Ten Things I Have Learned About Dating

I have always been a "late bloomer." I didn't have my first kiss until I was a sophomore in high school, and let's just say it scarred me for several years. My first real boyfriend was my senior year and to be honest, I first actual intimate relationship was when I was nineteen, and believe me it was the first in a long line of disasters.

So, it begs the question of why I would even bother to date after ten years of horrible relationships. It seems fitting that I am writing this blog almost ten years to day that I met what I can only describe as the love of my life. And when I say that, I have to admit, it's cheesy but true (I still use the guy's last name as my password on things). It's been a long ten years of dating and here is what I have learned:

10. No matter how hard you try, you cannot make someone like you for who you are. Men, in general, have an idea what they are looking for, and it is not someone who is willing to be we what they are looking for.

9. First dates are always a nightmare, no matter how much you like the guy. There is nothing more exhausting than trying to be funny, witty, intelligent and intellectual all the while trying not to spill on yourself, burp or talk with your mouth full.

8. You can date someone for a long time and never actually be attracted to them. It's not fun, but it does happen.

7. No matter how long you stare at your cellphone you cannot will it to ring. And when it does, it will inevitably be one of your friends calling to ask if he called.

6. Some men just don't appreciate the value of amazing shoes.

5. Bras are never optional on a date. I don't care what the sales girl told you. Nobody wants to see that, no matter how perky they are.

4. It is ok, occasionally, to let the guy pay for dinner. Trust me, if it's a bad date, you will be paying it back for months to come, no matter how many times you ignore his phone calls or texts.

3. Some men will admire you for your career. Others will resent you. But few will actually understand it.

2. Some of the greatest friends you will make in life are people you went on dates with and knew within fifteen minutes you would never sleep with them.

1. Dating is a lot like trying on clothes. What looks good on the rack may not always be the best fit in the dressing room. But when you find that perfect outfit, the one that minimizes your tummy, hips and thighs, and makes you feel like a million bucks, there is no cost to prohibitive to make you want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment